- Contests As Supplemental Curriculum
- National Math Contests
- Alabama Area Math Contests
- Contests by Grade (coming soon)
Contests As Supplemental Curriculum
Central to the philosophy of MIST Academy is that contests are one of the very best ways to enrich the educational experiences of bright students:
- Contests excite people. We succeed when we get young people excited about their education.
- The best problems are usually contest problems. The best contest problems are typically written by professional mathematicians and problemists who understand how to force a student to dig deeper and learn something new in order to get an answer.
- Contests involve teamwork. Some, but not all contests involve an element of peer cooperation that gifted students rarely experience in a regular classroom. MIST Academy programs leverage the work of all its students to push every individual forward. After all, the strengths and successes of our peers help propel us to greater heights.
- Success at contests is greater recognition than simply earning an A in a math class. Such achievement requires more preparation, a greater depth of understanding of the curriculum, sharper problem solving skills, and long-term retention of concepts.
MIST Academy curriculum includes all the subjects of focus in an
ordinary school, plus numerous additional subject areas. In addition
to arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus, the MIST
curriculum includes significant amounts of number theory,
combinatorics, game theory, and greater depth in all areas of math --
particularly their intersections. Math contests are rich in these
additional subject areas, and the level of difficulty of the problems
is usually right for avid young learners.
Contest problems typically include the best problems for advanced students -- often written by mathematicians and top problem solvers, contest problems are sometimes designed to test solvers with their ability to handle and make use of new concepts. Top students don't need to work on the same problems over and over. They need fresh challenges every day. MIST Academy helps bright students train their mental problem solving skills more rapidly by providing students with the best set of problems at their level.
Visit the MIST Academy classes page for more details.
National Math Contests
Please visit the Alabama Math Team page for a calendar of math team events. MIST Academy students will be prepared to participate in a host of the most inspiring math competitions:
- American Mathematics Competitions (AMC 8, AMC 10, AMC 12, AIME, USAMO)
- American Regions Mathematics League (ARML)
- The iTest
- Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools (MOEMS)
- Mandelbrot Competition
- Moody's Mega Math Challenge
- Mu Alpha Theta
- USA Mathematical Talent Search (USAMTS)
Please visit the Alabama Math Team
page for a calendar of math team events. MIST Academy students will be
prepared to participate in a host of the most inspiring math
competitions. More events will be added to this list soon. Many of the pages below include past contests and answers!
- Alabama ARML Team Selection Test
- Alabama School of Fine Arts (ASFA)
- Alabama Statewide High School Mathematics Contest (State Written and State Ciphering)
- Auburn University
- Briarwood Christian School JV Math Tournament (Geometry and Algebra II)
- Columbus State University
- Cullman Math Tournament (Middle School)
- Grissom High School
- Hoover High School
- MATHCOUNTS Chapter and State Events
- Muscle Shoals
- Pizitz Middle School
- Randolph School
- Rocket City Junior
- Soli Deo Gloria (Georgia)
- University of Alabama
- University of Alabama, Birmingham
- Vestavia Hills High School